First of all, I recommend that supplications, prayers, intercessions and thanksgivings be made for all men;
The importance of prayer First of all, I recommend that supplications, prayers, intercessions and thanksgivings be made for all men;
1 Timothy 2:1
Prayer is essential in the life of every Christian. Without it we do not have contact and communion with our God and Father. Through prayer we share our life, thoughts and feelings with the Lord. In today's verse we see Timothy's recommendation for Christians to practice prayer in different ways in their daily lives.
Generally speaking, prayer can be of five types:
- Supplications: Asking, crying out, imploring GodIntercession: praying for others
- Thanksgiving (prayer of gratitude): acknowledging God's goodness and favor
- Confession: Admitting our sin and guilt before God
- Worship: Glorifying God for who He is and what He has done.
In the Bible we have countless examples of people who had a life dedicated to prayer: Anna who prayed for a son; Daniel who, even under pain of death, did not give up talking to God; David who was always active in prayer and praise to the Lord, the apostle Paul who prayed even in prison and scourged and interceded for his brothers, and the Lord Jesus himself, who constantly withdrew to pray to the Father.
- Make a commitment to pray always:
- For Yourself - Confess, adore, supplicate and thank God daily. - Intercede for others
- Ask God for the needs of those around you: pray for your family, friends and brothers in Christ. Include in this prayer supplications for missionaries, leaders, rulers, unbelievers, the sick in hospitals and everyone who needs God's grace and help.
- Be diligent - Set aside time in your day, in the morning, afternoon or evening, and take a few minutes to talk to God. Spend quality time alone in the presence of God. If you can bend your knees, sing, read a portion of the Word, praise, pray and thank your Father.
To Pray: Beloved and dear Father in this prayer we thank you for giving us free access to seek you, your word says that "we don't know how to pray as the Holy Spirit better, intercede for us with groans that cannot be squeezed." Help us every day on this journey and may we persevere in prayer until your coming, in Jesus name Amen.