1. The word that came from the Lord to Jeremiah, saying:
2. Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause thee to hear my words.
3. So I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he was occupied with his work on the wheels.
4. As the vase, which he was making of clay, was damaged in the potter's hand, he made another vase of it again, as it seemed good in his eyes to do.
5. Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying:
6. Shall I not do of you as this potter did, O house of Israel? says the Lord. Behold, as clay in the potter's hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.
(Jeremiah, 18 1-6)